Thursday, April 28, 2011

My own Marvellous adventure

When Marvel 3 was released, I picked it up immediately. For some time prior to release, I wasn't sure that I would invest in it. I had found its prequel difficult to get to grips with and there was waaay too much going on for my poor brain to handle. But, after playing MvC3 at the Eurogamer Expo, I took the plunge and bought it.

And then swiftly traded it in. Once again, I found it difficult and couldn't find a way past a stream of bullets as Dante or Deadpool, or sometimes both, appeared on screen. As it was, I was still an average player at Street Fighter; a game that I had invested a significant amount of time in. I didn't have enough time going spare to get into MvC3. It's frustrating to lose...It's even more frustrating when that loss comes from the other side of the screen.

I kept in touch with the Marvel scene. I watched the occasional stream and kept on top of 'The Marvellous Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross". Slowly, the desire to play came back. So I picked it up once again. However, I had learnt from my mistakes.

I hit Mission Mode immediately and, strangely, made more progress with Wolverine than I had done in the past. He was always a certainty in the team. I had heard complaints about Sentinel, seen the patch and seen his influence on matches. So, for the first time, I picked him. I quickly realised you don't even have to play him well. If you can, it's beneficial, but a couple of hits per combo deals significant damage. Pair that with X-Factor and you're good to go. Unfortunately, my 2nd character is still undecided. I'm not sure who'll fit the mix or who I like.

Once I hit online, I was surprised. I was actually winning! Some of those thanks to my giant, hulking robot...Sentinel for example won one match single handed. I was in trouble and on the ropes. Then managed to link a couple of devastating blows together. With plenty of super meter to spare on his last character, I unleashed it. Dante didn't teleport, and instead blocked a stream of supers. Desperation set in and he pushed a button....and then lost. Not the finest win, but it would do.

I'm currently at 8-2 online. All was going well until I took a break from Ranked, and everyone disappeared. Player matches were a mixed bag. One player in particular had my number! My Wolverine is coming along nicely, Sentinel acts as a solid anchor in any team, but who do I put in the middle? Any suggestions appreciated. Comment below or @Sabre0001 on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with MvC3 and play all the time. I am little disappointed in your use of Sentinel... but because of his frequent use, I'm pretty good at countering his tactics.

    Wolverine has some ridiculous combos... if you're getting good with him you should consider a character with a good OTG assist (Deadpool, Wesker) so that you can extend your combos.

    A strong Capcom fighter could even out your roster too - Morrigan, Akuma, and Ryu are all well rounded characters that would fit well with Wolverine's rushing and Sentinel's zoning abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sentinel's almost the go-to character for anyone who needs a miracle at the end :)

    Found Wesker to be tricky to use but I suppose practice makes perfect. Going to have to tweak the team piece by piece I would say. Ryu isn't a bad second. Have to level him up though! Morrigan eh? Hadn't considered.

    Not going with Akuma because I play him in SSF4 - my feeble muscle memory may struggle to distinguish between combos in the two games (I still hit Assist 1 instead of Medium sometimes :S). He is a great character though.

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete