Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review scores

Ever read through a review and come to a conclusion that the game must not be great...and then see a 7 or 8, and wonder how? It is a pattern that is creeping into game reviews more and more as time goes on.

Different publications approach reviews in different ways. Some use star systems, some use percentages, some rate up to five while others hold ten as ideal gaming experiences. Others rate games under a series of titles such as graphics, gameplay and story and then average out the scores. However, none of these systems are perfect. In fact, scoring in general is flawed.

If an average system is used, is equal weight given to graphics and gameplay? Graphics may be perfect but I won't care how good a game looks if I'm essentially playing an engine showcase that isn't fun. Why do some games lose 12%; how can an exact figure be put on a game. Will I enjoy that particular title 88% of the time I spend playing it? I have played Street Fighter for over 200 hours. If I attached that criteria to it, it would rate quite poorly as I am often left frustrated and bitter. That's what I get for being a bad player I suppose. At the same time, it is an excellent title.

Scores appear to be the easiest way to satisfy those who advertise, those who arrange for free copies, and lazy readers. Why bother reading the work that someone has poured over and produced hundreds of words when there is a score, and often times a summary box, that tells you everything you need to know in seconds. Meanwhile, game development companies and publishers can simply take a flawed 9 and stick it on a box. In the tough times we live in where advertising is being reviewed, publications are treading a fine line. Is integrity being renegotiated?

I prefer to read the hundreds to thousands of words and make up my own mind. I have seen reviews of games that I enjoy that criticise difficulty or the flow where I may have had a differing opinion. A score alone is not going to tell me that. In my own reviews, I prefer to outline the positives and negatives that I found. People are often going to have differing opinions but at least there is a rationale there for people to work from. But, in the internet age we live in where "TL;DR" is the common response to text that wouldn't fit the likes of Twitter or Facebook, a shortcut is to be expected.

Maybe it's convenience, maybe there are ulterior motives at work. But I would like to stick to my words of opinion rather than tacking on a score. Being realistic, I know that I will have to abandon this if working for a publication, which at the end of the day is what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment